More small watercolors of this boy in even more jackets! I am so ready for fall. Messed with his shapes/design, and practiced glazing graded washes.
Also, found a good mix for splotchy light denim! The pants in the left one were way too teal, and when I layered a tiny thin wash of red oxide on top, it not only neutralized but added texture.
Lil baby basilisk!
Another sheet of OC doodles from this week. Now back to work!
A wall of heads I’ve been collecting this past week! Doodling before I start drawing pages helps me loosen up, and it also gives me a little time to spend on my poor neglected OC’s.
OC Ritsu being a fancy ice princess
Pencil and Photoshop
Project 1 is finished! I thought for sure this was on the verge of imploding just about every step along the way. But here it is, done, and with scans of all the steps it took to get it there. I am absolutely relieved.
I get to do this five more times before i run out of semester, and the goal is to hopefully get more comfortable working like this. Because I like the results! It’s just right now it’s extremely unpredictable; I just haven’t practiced enough in it yet.
The next one’s going to be a bit more complicated, and I’m also going to try and work at about half the size of this one. I was way too close to the deadline during the points where I really needed to be able to slow down and dig into some of the details for it, and while some of the things that happened because of that pressure were super neat, I’m still curious. I’m hoping it speeds me up a little bit, but I’ve never actually worked smaller than 15 x 22 making one of these paintings.
Anyway, the captions in the photoset describe the processes leading up to the final image, which was finished digitally in Adobe Photoshop CS6. I’ll also be posting it on my deviantart shortly!
Here’s another watercolor test from yesterday.
I needed a second doodle to confirm whether or not the success of the washes in the first was accidental; I’m sort of applying them backwards from how I’m used to painting. I think it does a better job of creating color harmonies, and not yucky brown mud. Hopefully by the end of today I’ll know if it holds up over a much larger piece of paper.
one, two, three!
This is a small color/media study for two illustrations I’m preparing for a class project. The first shot shows the pencil/colored pencil drawing with watercolor washes. The second shows the drawing after I’ve applied pastel and more colored pencil. The last picture shows the final, having been further tightened and worked up in Photoshop.
I like this technique because it gives the final a polished but hand-done feel. The PROBLEM is it is a terrible awful beast to get right. The last time I tried making illustrations like this, 6 out of 8 turned brown and disgusting D :
Every January I look back at my art and get all sad, because I feel like I make less and less of it each year. On top of that, I’m not super happy with a lot of what does get finished, and I’m pretty sure it’s because when I do get the chance to make something personal, or something for a friend, I get extremely obsessed with finishing it to death. This is an incredibly time-consuming process.
So my resolution is to worry less about polished work and focus more on just letting it happen. Happy 2013!
More process and development for class.
It’s been really challenging, but I think these guys are getting there. Henri the robot is finally in a solid stage; I replaced the eyeball idea with a diving helmet face, since he’s kinda inspired off an angler fish. It’s helpful to have a light on those long dark journeys and all.
Other’n that! Evan now looks appropriately like the living dead. I’m super happy but we’ll see if it works, I’m sure everybody’s still got a really long way to go. So far this is definitely my favorite version of Harlow. He just looks so frikkin’ awkward. And the eye thing. uhh…