Wildflurs! I learned how to wield salt a little more efficiently for this section, but I think I could get braver with it. I’m still pretty pleased with how this part turned out!
Next up: BUNNIES. yes. I tried to take some better pictures, my poor phone. Also, I’m trying to organize the information in these more clearly. The change in each step was made with the tools pictured.
Tools not pictured: battle-worn pencil sharpener, ramekin full of kosher salt, hair dryer that scares my cat Sophie
Well, there were still some technical difficulties in posting the video version. Lets just stick with the photoset!
For the third time, here’s an in-progress look at my current project. The quality of the photos is not the best, all I’ve got with me is my phone. I’m finishing up the sky, and moving onto the ground next. Stay tuned!
The cast is assembled and we’re ready to begin.
Now, if only I had space lamp…
Back to our project already in progress! The deadline on Princess meant I had to switch gears for a bit, but that’s okay. I needed to wait for my supplies to get here anyway. I got some 300lb hot press watercolor paper and I am itching to get some paint on it today.
This is a commission of my client’s niece, based on a super cute photograph of her picking her nose. She also likes to chase the little brown Minnesotan bunnies! Since running after small animals and picking your nose can be kinda tedious, the scene is instead of one offering her a tissue.
I made two versions just in case, but the one that stuck closer to the photograph was chosen. So today the goal is to transfer that sketch onto the right paper, loosen it up a little, and get painting!
Done! I actually did get it done last night, but it was very late. But anyway, this was a lot of fun to make!
It’s going up in my friend’s show The Babe, the Bitch, and the Blueblood, which is chock full of badass fairytale ladies being awesome. The show is opening at MCAD on the 24th this month, so if you’re around the Minneapolis area you should check it out! It’s gonna be a pretty cool night! Heck I hope I’m back by then!
Next on the agenda: Some bunnies and a cute lil child picking her nose! This one’s gonna be a painting, so I’m going to try to take some decent pictures of it.
The princess is ready! Now to assemble the pieces, paint, and that’s gonna be that. With any luck, it’ll all be done by tomorrow night!
Made with colored pencil and pencil on recycled bristol!
Boy did he take his time getting cleaned up!! Once I get the princess to the same level, we’re on the home stretch. Seeings how she’s not covered in horns and scales and gnarly bits, I’m thinking it ought to go pretty quick from here on out. Whew!
Made with colored pencil and graphite on recycled bristol!
Color study! I made zero effort to color inside the lines. I may do other things with the final, but this is about what I need to plan the next parts. Onward!
More process on this one! I just finished roughing out that skirt, so now it’s time to do a tone/color study. I’ll follow that while I clean up the pencils, that way everything in the end feels cohesive.
This piece got broken up because I needed a bit more room to detail the princess. She was so tiny!! I posed with a broom to get her crouch right, and I also used my eyeball for the dragon’s. I get confused by eyelids.